Getting the system initially setup is relatively simple. You plug it into your network and apply power. It will use DHCP to fetch an IP address from your router. The first time you power it up you need to find out what that address is so that you can obtain access to the systems web management portal. Most routers will report on the current DCHP clients making this a simple matter of looking at your routers DCHP table.
Pointing a web browser at the devices IP address you’ll be greeted with a login screen to the management portal. This portal is protected by a four-digit pin code. The default is simply "0000." For security reasons it should be changed to something less obvious once you get logged in.
Once you’re into the management portal the menus are fairly obvious. You first move, after changing the PIN code, might be to establish a fixed IP address so that it’s easier to get back into the management interface later on. In my case I prefer to let the DECT base use DHCP, but assign a fixed IP to the units MAC address in my routers DHCP service.
Moving onto the SIP setups you find that the DECT base is very similar to setting up an ATA. In fact, in some regards it’s even easier. The base can accommodate up to six separate SIP accounts, as well as the PSTN line and a built-in account with Gigaset.Net. Yes, there are eight possible paths for any call to traverse! As a practical matter the base can only sustain three simultaneous calls, one to the analog port and two to ITSPs.
Gigaset Communications works to support a number of ITSPs with semi-automated provisioning. If the provider you wish to use is part of this program then you simply select the provider from those listed. The core SIP server and STUN settings are then loaded from a central server. All you need to add is your specific account details and you’re in business.
If your chosen provider is not one of those listed then it’s still a simple matter to enter the SIP account, server and STUN details. During the course of my trial I noticed that the automated settings loaded for FWD and SIPGate were slightly in error. I reported this to Gigaset and they quickly made the necessary changes to the master table of ITSP data. Shortly thereafter the phone reported that a “new profile” was available and it downloaded the new settings.
I started out by registering the system with OnSIP and FWD. That process took only a few minutes. Before I was through I added Gizmo5, IdeaSIP, SIPGate & my local Asterisk server such that I eventually had all six accounts engaged.