This is a listing of how-to articles and guides that I’ve written.
A few simple ways to solve problems of Wi-Fi coverage that won’t require an advanced degree or a second mortgage.
Originally published February, 2018
The DoorBot Saga: The tale of a fancy video-capable Doorbell replacement
- DoorBot: A Wifi-Enabled Smart Doorbell
- Coming Soon: Rock ‘em Sock ‘em DoorBots!
- DoorBot Selected as One of Wired’s 10 Best Gadgets of CES 2014
- Our DoorBot Has Been Decommissioned: Part 1
- Our DoorBot Has Been Decommissioned: Part 2 – How Fi is Our Wi?
- Our DoorBot Has Been Decommissioned: Part 3
An extended series running from December 2012 to April 2014
How To Connect a Google+ Hangout-On-Air to a Conference Bridge
A podcasters guide to overcoming the interoperability limitations of Google’s Hangouts-On-Air.
- Part 1: Background: Understanding why this needs to be done
- Part 2: Interconnection: Jack fails, VB-Cable succeeds
- Part 3: VoiceMeeter
- Part 4: Interconnecting Jitsi Video Bridge, ZipDX & YouTube Live
- Part 5: Interconnecting Jitsi Video Bridge, ZipDX & YouTube Live Part 2
An ongoing series started in January 2014
Understanding the little cameras that are coming to dominate the desktop UC landscape.
- Part 1: The Old Days, A Personal History
- Part 2: LifeSize Desktop 1.0 & The Logitech Webcam Pro 9000
- Part 3: USB 2.0: Friend or Foe?
- Part 4: Hunting a USB 3.0 Webcam
- Part 5: SparkoCam and my Canon DSLR
- Part 6: General advice on using web cameras with XSplit Broadcaster
- Part 7: VDO360 Serious Webcams For Business
- Part 8: Vaddio RoboSHOT 12 – A USB 3.0 Webcam
- Part 9: Webcams in 2016 – Where are the USB 3.0 Models?
An ongoing series started in August 2013
Details a hardware-centric approach to producing excellent quality screencasts.
Originally published September 9, 2013
Lighting for Video Calling and Conferencing in a Home Office
- Part 1: People Just Don’t See Me in the Right Light!
- Part 2: Commercial Lighting Options
- Part 3: Brightlines I/S-22 LED Conference Light
- Part 4: Can You Help Me Identify These Lights?
Originally published July – August, 2013
Adding an intercom to our front gate
- Part 1: Get That Will You Dear? A Phone For The Door Or Gate
- Part 2: An Analog Phone For our Front Gate
- Part 3: An Analog Phone For our Front Gate: Done Deal!
Originally published August – October, 2011
A Tale Of Wonky Wifi: An Informal Series
- Part 1: Netgear & Cisco
- Part 2: Some History & Seeking Advice
- Part 3: Wifi Access Point vs Router
- Part 4: A Doubleheader Featuring 802.11B/G vs N, And WLAN vs Mesh
- Part 5: Another Transition
Originally published February, 2010 – April, 2011
An overview of hardware platforms for small DIY Asterisk servers, originally published here on July 8, 2010
Republished at Small Net Builder as How To Build Asterisk Appliances On The Cheap on July 13, 2010
The State of HDVoice in Asterisk
- Part 1: Intro to the Siren codecs
- Part 2: Comparing codecs using English
- Part 3: Comparing codecs using six more languages
- Part 4: The evolution of the role of the codec & summary
How-To Series: Making Use of Wideband Voice Right Now!
- Series Introduction
- Skype, originally published June 15, 2009
- Gizmo5,originally published June 22, 2009
- SIPGate,originally published June 25, 2009
- OnSIP,originally published July 12, 2009
- IdeaSIP, originally published March 11, 2010
- SIP Sorcery, originally published May 27, 2010
- Blink & SIP2SIP.INFO,originally published October 27, 2010
- Vonage Mobile, originally published July 10, 2012
Originally published May 10, 2009
Originally published July 22, 2008
The Path To Whole House Audio
- Parts 1 & 2: The Path To Whole House Audio
- Part 3: The Logic Behind Powered Monitors
- Part 4: Subwoofers & Halloween
- Part 5: Verification By Measurement
- Part 6: Whole House Audio
Originally published Spring & Summer 2008
How To: Add A Cellular Trunk To Your VOIP System – Part 1,
Originally published May 9, 2008
How To: Add A Cellular Trunk To Your VOIP System – Part 2,
Originally published June 9, 2008
A guide to network issues relating to VoIP over small office/home office internet connections. Originally published January 6, 2008
Originally published January 13, 2006