Two weeks ago my wife told me that the small snom m3 handsets are not working as well as they should. To be specific, when she’s in the front bedroom the call quality is not good. I was out of town at the time but eventually got around to looking into the matter.
It’s is a simple matter of signal propogation. That bedroom location is the furthest possible point from the base radio, which was in my office.
Every now and then something takes me back to a time and place where I haven’t been in a long, long time. It’s usually enjoyable, but often a bit of a ride. Bear with me as I lay out how and why this little device has found a favored place in my home.
In high school I had been a disk jockey, both at school dances and on a local community cable access channel. Musical reproduction (a.k.a “stereo stuff”) had been very important to me at that age even though I didn’t have the funds to pursue the interest in any depth.
I went on to study music, and eventually recording and live sound reinforcement. I have engineered studio sessions and live performances. However, as I wound my way through my twenties home audio was not a subject of much interest. My career path drifted from the purely musical to into broadcast video production.
Jared Valentine has posted an interesting description of a system he developed for automatically manipulating QoS & bandwidth allocation to support the use of VOIP over his DSL service. He calls this “Application Aware Triggered QoS.”
He described his initial problem as being trouble with inbound bandwidth management. This is something that I’ve never experienced myself. My trouble was always related to limited outbound bandwidth.
For the past three years T-Mobile has been my cellular carrier. I chose them back at a time that I was traveling to Europe periodically and wanted a service that would provide access via the European GSM carriers.
Prior to T-Mobile I had been with Verizon Wireless.The more time goes on the more I like T-Mobile. Their customer service has been pretty good, at least when I needed something it was possible to get it done. I’ve had my phone replaced at least twice. I’ve also had a failed SIM card replaced.
There’s been an odd converge of concerns around this place. The SIP-GSM gateway is about to arrive so I’ll be tinkering with Astlinux again. Also our doorbell is broken, which makes receiving deliveries a serious drag.
The doorbell is physically located at the gate in the front fence. There’s a zip cord line that runs underground from the house and a simple momentary contact switch in the frame of the wrought iron fence. It seems like there’s a problem with the underground line, not something that is easily repaired or replaced. The rest of the works are located in a central closet, with a second ringer in the office.