Not long ago telecom writer and blogger Doug Mohney issued forth a Tweet asking, “Anyone out there using HD calling (G.722) on a daily basis?” I’ve not met Doug, although I sat a few seats down from him much of the day at last months HD Communications Summit. I’ve read his work at various places including FierceVoIP. Doug truly knows telecom.
What his tweet brought to mind is the simple fact that many people might be interested in making use of wideband voice, but not know where to start. I use wideband voice, in one form or another, literally every day. If you’re a technical sort it’s not that difficult. For the non-technical it can be a minefield. So I though I should offer some suggestions based upon my own SOHO experience.
As I set about writing this I discovered that it was going to turn into a fairly massive amount of information. There are many avenues to consider, some very simple and some more involved. It was well beyond one blog post so I’m going to present it as a series, with one post a week for as long as I have suitable material.
The first few posts are already in que. Look for the initial shot across the bow of HMS Legacy Telecom on Monday morning when I’ll be considering a really easy way to get started in wideband VoIP for little or no cost.
How-To Series: Making Use of Wideband Voice Right Now!,
- Skype, originally published June 15, 2009
- Gizmo5, originally published June 22, 2009
- SIPGate, originally published June 25, 2009
- OnSIP, originally published July 12, 2009
- IdeaSIP, originally published March 11, 2010
- SIP Sorcery, originally published May 27, 2010
- Blink & SIP2SIP.INFO, originally published October 27, 2010
- Vonage Mobile, originally published July 10, 2012